Many Americans with mental illness end up in jails and prisons each year. They also tend to spend longer terms in prison and end up back in prison costing local jurisdictions more money. They are typically jailed for nonviolent reasons and end up lacking the treatment they need. So what are other options for the mentally ill offenders that doesn’t involve incarceration?
Mental health options in Phoenix: Community corrections
Community corrections is an alternative to prison for nonviolent offenders. The mentally ill can benefit from these programs because they provide several treatments aimed at helping mental disorders and substance addiction. Phoenix House offers a community treatment program as an alternative to prison. This program costs less than prison and offers significant help in a clinically supportive environment. Phoenix House provides a number of treatments:
- Assessment and evaluation services: Phoenix House provides individual assessments and evaluations of substance abuse and mental disorders that can be requested by individuals, families, schools and the Criminal Justice System.
- Mental health services: Phoenix House provides treatment programs specifically designed to treat mental illnesses in kids and adults short term and long term.
- Sober living and recovery support: Phoenix House offers a safe transition space before fully returning to independent living or an alternative to residential treatment depending on the situation.
- Mother and child residential services: Phoenix House offers professional services for pregnant women and women with young children in a residential setting.
- Adult outpatient services: Adults have the option of receiving outpatient services that provide a comprehensive array of substance abuse and mental health programs. All programs use evidence based practices that are safe, supportive and accredited.
- Adult residential services: Phoenix House’s residential treatments are catered to each individual and create solutions to meet each individual’s needs. Stay lengths are flexible and programs meet any treatment needs.
- Adult detoxification and stabilization: Phoenix House offers medical and social detoxification and stabilization services that helps individuals detox safely and then connects them to the next level of care.
Photo by John O’Neill